Saturday, August 30, 2008

Please don't install.

OK so I need to bring this to every one's attention. For the last month I have had to work Sundays and when I do I always come across people who just should not have a computer because they hurt themselves.


Ok one of the reasons I say this is because right now there is a rouge virus going around that is called Windows xp antivirus 2008-2009. It look like a legitimate program but its not.

Its a program that sends false information to you saying that your computer is infected and with this program it will delete all the threats. I spoke with a customer last Sunday and she told me she thought she had done something not right. All she was doing was looking for flowers to plant in her flower bed around her house, she went to http://www.google.com/ and searched the photos and BAM this program appears. she wiggs out thinking she is going to die and clicks ok and installs it. the program now in her system scans and gives her false information. at the end of the scan it says for $49.95 we can get rid of it for you.


She paid it. again it scans and says that it has gotten rid of the stuff it found the first time but says it found more and for another $49.00 it will get rid of it. Well to make a long story short she paid these people a total of $250.00 before she started to think something was wrong. When I got her call she even asked me if that was the right thing to do was to install that program. I told her no.


We went through the system and the infection was so bad that we had to reformat the hard drive and she lost all her data. Did she have back up of all her data????? well lets not answer that one and say we did because we all know SHE DID NOT BACK UP ANYTHING. Tomorrow I got back in and see how many more people hurt themselves and put a band aid on there boo boos. (no kissing of the boo boos is involved).


So please watch yourself. keep all security software you have up to date and run a scan at least once a week, Just a friendly reminder.

3 comments:

Dave said...

thanks for the warning. I don't usually instal anything from the internet unless I know what it is.

That post was a public service, the more you know... star flaring off the screen.

Poohbear said...

Oh Honey I will not do that..I learn my lesson..still don't know how I did it.............I wiped my computer.Thank goodness I have a IT guy....Oh by the way....whats the bill????

Anonymous said...

Dude, you just keep your knowledge flowing on the blog... you're awesome!

Hopefully, you don't get too many more calls about that. Having worked in support also, I know how much it sucks to help a customer understand that they're about to lose all their data, and that there isn't anything you can do.

Bottom line, and I know that you'd verify this for all your readers, if you don't know what it is, and you didn't seek it out... IGNORE IT!

Great job on this one man! Proud of you!