Friday, August 1, 2008

The end of an era.


what I am about to say will, for some be good news. for others shocking and for others well who knows. but I have decided to stop playing the game I have been living for the past two years.


Yes the game is The World of Warcraft.


Ok ok for those of you who are shocked you can pick up your bottom jaw from the floor.


This is something that had to be done for several reasons. 1. when some one would call or come over and ask for me the conversation would go as follows. "hey how is Gary"? "He is fine just playing the game". then it became "Hey how is Gary oh wait he is still playing the game right:? "Yup"


Then it would be "Hey how is Gar- oh still playing that game, oh never mind."


Yeah that was me the game playing guy that never stuck his head out of the house because he didn't want to be bugged becaus hes trying to get to level 70 and GET HIS EPIC BIRD, SO HE CAN SLICE AND KILL THE BAD GUY AND BE THE HERO AND (whew) slow down , got a little carried away back there hee hee.


Where I work is another hot spot for this game. Most of everyone plays it and talks about. when I travel up the isles to get to my desk I either see the games website on there computer or a bunch of people are gathered together talking about what instance they ran the night before.
I admire those that can find balance in real life and "fake" life. I can't do that, for some reason it has to be either or for me.


Now how this came to be that I needed to stop was real life sucked. and this "virtual life rocked" but then the virtual life began to get dull. I mean I would come home from work, log on to the game and get sucked in and play for hours and hours but do the same thing over and over and over. Kill the bad guy, level up, earn gold and die and get your body back and do it all over again. good times good times indeed.


well one day the server went down for maintenance and I could not play anymore for several hours. suddenly I was like a junky taken off the morphine. I put the back of my hand on my forehead and stood up and said "what ever will I do where ever will I go?" ok I was not that dramatic but I did say "what the heck".


Well I got up and felt my knee pop from sitting all that time. I walked out and saw Heather sitting in the swing all by herself. I went out and sat down next to her.


you should of seen her face. Her eyes were as big as silver dollars and she said "what the heck"


I smiled I put my arm around her and we sat there for the next several hours and talked and watched the sun go down and the enjoyed the stars. we watched the neighbors do there thing you know we were doing regular Idaho stuff ha ha . Now every evening we go out and sit in the swing. to me its been the best past time and life around the house has become much better. I know that allot of the time Heather was quite frustrated at me because all I did was play that thing. but we are much happier now.




listen to me I sound like a guy in rehab


Hello my name is Gary and I am from WOWA

(World of Warcraft anonymous)



SO its time to take my alter ego the caped crusader, the killer of the Horde Nigtou and put him to rest. I am not sure if I will ever go back to the game, I have learned though that if I do I will learn how to manage my time better with it. but like some junkies if they go back its worse then before so I am not sure I will go back

6 comments:

Dave said...

Progress? I hope you see it as such. You could be addictted to other crap so I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. I am trying to learn guitar, true to my nature I can play the chord, but I am having trouble reading the notes from the book.
Nice to see something new on your blog good work, maybe you can show heather how to change things up?

Poohbear said...

Well the end....That I thought would never come....I am very happy that he doesn't play anymore..give more time for dating and that mushy stuff....thanks

chickychick1975 said...

My jaw was on the floor when I read this!!!

Can it be possible?

I loved the " What the Heck?"

I am proud of you....

Gary said...

thanks guys for the encuragement. this is somthing that i just needed to do. and im proud of myself for doing it to. the game is uninstalled and my subscription canceled. TO be honest, I feel great about it. not one regret.

Unknown said...

Gary I am happy to hear that you have stopped playing the game. I know that it is hard. That game is one of the many reasons my marriage fell apart. I know to many friends that lost jobs, friends, and family over that game. I even know a couple that lost their child. :-( I am happy that you and Heather are finding happiness again. Good luck to the both of you.

Gary said...

Just wanted to update you guys on this. its 9/22/09 and I have not been back to that game. I am fully done. I feel better.