Friday, September 12, 2008

My ode to 9/11

Yesterday was an historic anniversary. Seven years ago 2 jet air liners slammed themselves into the World Trade Center after being hijacked by terrorists. There where 2 other planes hijacked as well, one flying into the Pentagon and the other crashed in Pennsylvania.

I’m not going to go into massive detail of how and why things happened because you have seen and heard it all on TV or the Internet. The events that happened that day hit all of us in some way or another. For me the attack in New York was not just an attack, it was personal.

I went on my mission to New York city. I had the honor and privilege to go to the World Trade Center and be on the top and look down and see the city. Every where I went I could see those two buildings. I knew I couldn't get lost because there they where.

I was there when the first bombing of the trade center happened In 1993. There was a lot of chaos and confusion. I was in Queens at the time it happened. After the heat settled and things were made known as to what happened, the repairs were underway and the north tower fixed and life in New York was on the verge of being normal again. It was then I able to visit the towers for the second time.

Their was a tradition that took place on the observation deck of the south tower, (tower 2). What was at first graffiti turned into something that was cool. On the observation deck you have a huge view of the city. You can see all 5 city Boroughs Manhattan
, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island and the Bronx. You can also see parts of upstate New York and you can see New Jersey. As you are up there looking down there was a hand railing. Under the hand railing was the cool thing. There were signatures of everyone and the date they were there under that railing. I was privileged to sign it as well.
When I got the news about the
attacks I was on my way to work. I was listening to the radio and at that time they were thinking that a plane accidentally ran into the building. When I got to work and got things up and running that when I got the total news. I couldn’t work well at all for the rest of the day. It felt like a part of me went down with those buildings.

So I make this little tribute to the men and women that died and those that saved lives. Also to my friends that live there. These are pictures that I took while I was there.

1 comment:

Poohbear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.