Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Birthday lunch.

 

My mother took the family, minus my brother that lives in Utah to Perkins restaurant for a birthday lunch today and what a deal it was.  As we are being seated the first thing that my mom says to the waitress is “Do you guys have balloons we can put on his wrist for his birthday” as she is pointing right at me.  Instantly I wanted to duck for cover under the table or a big rock. I do the palm to face thing thinking, “oh come on Mom”.  So that was the start of it. 

As the the time went on I was privileged to hear the “when you were born” story that I hear every year.  I was supposed to be born on the 19th and mom was in labor and Dad was right there with her but after a little while  everything stopped and the Doc said  “sorry folks but not today”  Mom keeps saying  I was being stubborn and wanted to wait till the 20th.  They sent my parents home and the next day  Dad went to work.  A few hours later  my Grandpa  calls dad and says  “hey  you better get to the hospital because you have a new baby boy out there”.

Then your told about the excruciating pain she went through and your riddled with guilt for causing such pain  to your mother and you say  “Yes mom I'm sorry”over and over.  Again you feel like crawling under the table or a rock.      So yeah for 39 years I’ve been dealing with guilt that  I had no control over???????  What the Heck?? Thanks Mom.   Ha ha ha ha   Guilt, that’s a funny word too.  LOL.

Then for some reason the conversation turned a little dark and we were talking about jerky people and my little brother talked about a guy at his work who was a jerk and said that if the guy kept pestering my him, my brother was going to kill him.  My mom out of the blue said “ well if your going to kill him make sure you use the other K’.   We all stopped in mid conversation  looking at mom who didn’t see us looking at her as she was looking at her dinner plate and we asked each other,’  Do you know what the other K is?  I don’t know, I know it’s a letter in the alphabet.  So my sister turns to mom and asked “what do we kill them with?”  Kitchen?  Kitten? Kite? ummm mom did you want us to kill the guy with a koala ? Mom looks up at all of us and shakes her head and said  No, Kindness,you fools,  you kill them with Kindness.   Leave it to mom to turn something dark into light.  Anyway had a good time and thank goodness there were no surprise balloons.

Thank you mom for taking us all out today and most of all thank you for giving birth to me. 

1 comment:

Matt said...

Nice post! Sorry you've been feeling guilty for 39 years about making your mom go through labor. Personally, I never gave it a second thought. I figure if she didn't want to go through labor, she probably shouldn't have gotten pregnant. I must be one of those 'jerky' people. (Had to read that twice, btw... I had this image of small leathery skinned elves or something in my mind.) you're talking about. Seriously though, it's a good thing Susan wasn't there. She had a health fair to help out with today and couldn't. She didn't have her mask with her. Place had balloons. She can't even really be around them with a mask on. After the few short minutes we were there together, her eyes were itchy and watering. Your dinner with balloons probably would have sent her to the hospital.

Happy Birthday my friend. Just one more year and I'll be razzing you for hitting another landmark age before me!